Haverfordwest Castle © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
Haverfordwest Castle dominates the small riverside town of Haverfordwest.
The wife of Edward 1 (Queen Eleanor) acquired the castle in 1289 and extended it on a large scale, but it was derelict by the 16th century. During the Civil War it was refortified and was occupied successively by Royalists and Parliamentarians, changing hands four times.
Part of the castle was converted to a prison in the 18th century. This building now houses the County Archives.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -